I always thought of quinoa as a savory dish. Something to be used as a rice alternative, but this week I tried quinoa for breakfast as an oatmeal alternative and, um… yum! I posted it on my instagram page and got questions about how to make quinoa for breakfast, so let’s talk about why we should be eating more quinoa and how to prepare it for breakfast!
By the way, Quinoa is pronounced: Keen-Wah, if you’re wondering.
For those of us with PCOS, we want to avoid carbs from sweets, white bread, pasta, rice, etc. If we can swap those with carbos that stabilize blood sugar like sprouted grains, brown rice and quinoa it becomes easier to manage our insulin resistance, weight and overall health.
According to this article quinoa is one of only a few plant foods that are considered a complete protein.
Here are three yummy ways to get your quinoa in the morning.
My quinoa was simple with toasted coconut, bananas and berries. If you’d like to make it this way, just swap out seasonings from the following recipes and replace them with what you like.
Pumpkin Quinoa Breakfast
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1/3 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
…cooking directions here via Make and Take
Warm and Nutty Cinnamon Quinoa
- 1 cup organic 1% low fat milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup organic quinoa, (hs note: rinse quinoa)
- 2 cups fresh blackberries, organic preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted*
- 4 teaspoons organic agave nectar
…cooking directions here via 101 cookbooks
Raspberry Vanilla Almond Breakfast Quinoa
- 3 cups vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (or other sweetener of your preference)
- 2 cups fully-cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 cup raspberries (or other berry of your liking)
…directions here via cooking and beer
Which one of these would you make?
Don’t forget Registration for #PSPfit bootcamp opens on April 16th, pre-register here