After two years in my current apartment, I decided it was time to move.
For my move, I enlisted the help of my Adam (my BFF), Colin (Adam’s BF), Jake (a close acquaintance), Jeremy (no intro needed) and I asked my friend Zora to come watch the truck. Four guys and two girls should be more than enough to easily pack up a truck and move me across Manhattan, right?
- Thursday I get a text from Colin saying that he misread his schedule and doesn’t have the day off of work after all. Although it seemed a little odd that Colin couldn’t read his schedule properly, I wasn’t too surprised because the last time I had to move to a new apartment, Adam and Colin cancelled at the last minute because they “forgot they had to work”.
- 8:20 am the day of the move I get a text message from Adam, who plays the piano: So, last night I got a call for a gig and I want to do it. are we still meeting 9? Because I need to leave at 10:30…. I totally understand and support Adam seizing an opportunity to make some extra money, but Adam and I had been together the night before until 2am, painting my new apartment. Why didn’t he say something then? Instead he waits until the last minute leaving me little chance of finding a replacement.
- 9:10 am I get a text from Jake: I’m on my way
- 9:15 Jeremy shows up and lets me know that he too has to leave early.
- 10:00 am I get another text from Jake: Sorry something came up, I’m in the Bronx….
- 12:30 pm The truck is packed but Jeremy has to leave, he promises to return by 2:30
- 1:00 pm Zora consoles me as I try not to have a breakdown
- 1:15 pm Zora and I park the truck and grab a quick lunch
- 2:00 pm Zora and I get to my new apartment and begin unpacking the truck as best we can
- 3:00 pm Jeremy comes back, carries full dressers up the stairs on his own, I remind myself that I am not in love with him.
The whole experience made me feel incredibly… single. To have five friends agree to help me, and to end up with a truck full of things and only one other person was awful. Then to make matters worse, as I was hauling boxes up my steps, this song popped into my head:
A girlfriend of mine recently moved into a new apartment with the help of one boy (her boyfriend) and one supportive female friend. I on the other hand had to ask five boys to help me just so that one would show up.
I have supportive female friends galore, but where is my one boy?